Security Guard Training
To get your security guard license, you have to take the 8 hour pre-assignment training, 16 Hour On-the-Job Training Course at an accredited security training school. You will get your security guard certification after you file your security officer training completion document with The New York State Department of State, Division of Licensing Services.
There are many security officer training programs in New York City, but for new security guards with no on the job experience, we prefer to work with graduates of the security school. In addition to all the training required for security guard certification by New York State, the security guard job training program at NYC Security School includes training on how to work with the latest in security technology, making the graduates of their security guard training program the ideal candidates to work with Security USA™.
For experienced security guards who need to complete their annual 8 hour in service training course and security guard training courses will keep your security guard certification up to date and keep you up to date on the use of cutting edge security technology. We'll also remind you when you are due to take the course again, avoiding the danger of losing your security guard certification due to non-compliance with the training requirement.
New York State Requires the Following Fees
- Initial application for a Security Guard Registration Card: $36.00
- Electronic Fingerprinting: $102.25
- Service Fee: $25.00
These fees are required by New York State and are completely separate from any fees you pay for your security guard training courses. NYS Security School will guide you through the entire process, saving you time and money.
Training Required to Become a Security Guard
All security guards must complete two training courses before earning full certification.
The first step is to take an 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course before applying to the Department of State for a Security Guard Registration Card. This course covers the basics that everyone working as a security officer needs to know. At NYS Security School, you will also be taught how to prepare an application or resume for a position as a security officer, and navigate the fingerprinting and filing requirements with New York State. When you graduate, their placement service may be able to help you secure a position to start your career as a licensed security officer.
Once you get a job as a security guard, you must complete a 16 Hour On-the-Job Training Course for Security Guards within 90 days. This course covers the duties of a security guard and procedures relevant to the work site. These courses only have to be taken once, but you will need to take an 8 Hour Annual In-service Training Course for Security Guards every year for as long as you work as a security guard.
To Maintain Registered Security Guard Status
Being a Licensed Security Guard is a Great Career
More Information About Careers in Security
- In addition to the courses listed above, armed guards are required to take a firearms course both before they start working and every year thereafter.
- Persons who are actively working as police who wish to work part time as security officers are not required to register with the New York State Department of State.
- Retired or former police officers ARE required to register with the state and follow all requirements if 10 years or more have passed since they were on active duty. If it has been less than 10 years, they do not have to meet all of the requirements.
- People who are currently employed as Corrections Officers and Court Officers or who are retired from those positions are treated similarly to those who have served as police. The staff at NYS Security School can help you navigate all of the various requirements that are specific to your situation.